We want your family and your pets to have the best health possible. The doctors at Pet Pals have made major changes in our recommendations for testing and protection of your pets because of changes in disease, weather and new products!
2017 brought some unfortunate changes to our area – an increase in Heartworm disease and Indiana became endemic for Lyme disease. Here are some more facts to consider:
- Mosquitos can hatch in 24-48 hours in any temperatures over 50 degrees.
- Ticks are in the grass – not the trees
- Deer ticks (Ixodes) which carry Lyme disease are MOST active October–February
- Fleas can carry tapeworm larvae in their gut
What do we do about these risks to our pets?
Fortunately flea/tick and Heartworm prevention have become safer and more effective over the past few years with the need to provide year round protection. We strive to offer you the best products on the veterinary market to keep you and your pets safe. We now offer the following preventatives:
- Heartgard – oral monthly heartworm and internal parasite prevention – No effect on fleas and ticks.
- Sentinel Spectrum – oral monthly heartworm and internal parasite and tapeworm prevention. Flea larvae won’t hatch. No effect on adult fleas and ticks.
- Revolution – topical monthly heartworm and some internal parasite prevention plus flea control and 1 species of tick.
- Nexgard – oral monthly flea and tick preventative – recommended for dogs between 8 weeks and 6 months of age.
- Simparica – oral monthly flea and tick preventative – recommend for dogs over 6 months of age.
Some of you may be unfamiliar with Simparica and why we now recommend it over other flea and tick control products.
- Safety data shows the lowest incidence of any side effects over other oral flea and tick products (less than 1 in 10,000).
- Simparica is the only oral product available that can kill the Gold Coast tick (hardest to kill).
- Simparica is 244 times more specific to the insect’s neurologic system than the dog’s. Frontline is only 2 times more specific.
- Simparica starts killing fleas in 3 hours and ticks in 8 hours and last for a full 35 days in case we are a little late with the next dose.
In addition to these baseline products a variety of heartworm, flea and tick products are available in our office and from our licensed veterinary pharmacy home delivery website. We would be happy to guide you through the maze of products available so that your family is protected from zoonotic disease and parasites that can be transmitted from these pests.
So much has changed in recent years, but our desire to meet your needs is constant as ever! Below are a few trusted websites for more information on diseases and parasites. You can also register for ePetHealth on our website for access to a large wealth of health topics and home delivery. Please feel free to contact us with your questions.